All of you who follow my instagram page might be curious about the ‘guess what’ picture I posted yesterday. So here is what it is. It is a homemade skin balm for soft, supple and glowing skin. This can also be used as a lip and cheek tint for that natural subtle tint. This is easy to make, costs almost nothing and is very beneficial to the skin.
Ingredients needed :
1. Half of a small organic beetroot
2. Virgin coconut oil/Olive oil/ Ghee
3. Hot water in a bowl
This is a very versatile balm and you can add lemon juice, carrot juice, castor oil, honey etc in it for extra benefits.
My preparation has beetroot extract, virgin coconut oil (home made) and castor oil. I made the coconut oil at home, from left over coconut milk. Let me know if you would like the recipe.
Method to prepare the balm:
1. Grate the beetroot with a grater. You can also grind the beetroot in a foodprocessor, till there is a visible watery residue.
2. Strain the juice of grated beetroot by pressing it with a spoon.Make sure there are no bits and pieces of beetroot. Don’t add water to it. We only need the quantity we get from half a beetroot as we have to use this within 2 weeks and not let it go stale.
3. Now is the time to add virgin coconut oil/olive oil/ghee to the beet extract. Depending on your skin type and preference you can add any of these. You should add quarter to half tsp of the oil. It would be easier to add less at first and then increase the quantity depending on the consistency. Too much oil will make the tint sheer.
I transferred the beetroot juice to a small steel bowl, added quarter tsp of coconut oil (which was refrigerated and had hence solidified) and a few drops of organic castor oil from Juicy Chemistry. Castor oil is a thick oil which helps in moisturizing the dry lips. You can skip coconut oil and add olive oil or ghee instead. You can skip castor oil as well and add honey at the last step instead.
4. The balm is still a liquid. If you keep this mix in refrigerator at this point, the oil will separate and form a solid layer on top of liquid beet juice.
Inorder to make it thick and ‘balmy’, dip the smaller bowl with the mix, to a larger bowl of boiling hot water. You can boil the water and just take it out of stove for this step.It just need to be really hot. With a spoon or a whisk(makes the job easier), beat or whisk the liquid mix very fast. Now the continuous fast whisking on a hot water bath will make the mix to thicken and become the consistency we need. If liquidy you can add more coconut oil to it and repeat the process. You have to fast whisk it for atleast 15-20min for it to reach the right consistency.
Now since Iam quite lazy, I whisked it for around 10min. I got a slightly thicker consistency.
5. Once the mix cools down you can add few drops of lime juice or honey for that extra benefit. I transferred it to an empty lipbalm case. Now refrigerate the mix for it to set and solidify. Since there are no preservatives in this balm you need to refrigerate it to make it last longer.
How to use:
1. As a lipbalm : Just dab a little bit of the mix on your lips. It will give you that just smitten tint initially which oxidizes in a while to give a deeper tint.
When used regularly, this balm helps to reduce the pigmentation on lips. It also moisturizes the lips and makes it soft and supple.
2. As a face massage balm : Please do a patch test if you have sensitive skin. Take a small quantity of the balm and massage it well on cleansed face. Use circular upward motion to massage. Do this until the balm is absorbed on skin. Wipe off the excess with a warm face towel. Your skin will feel baby soft with a subtle glow. Do this regularly for lightening blemishes and dark spots.This is suitable for all skin types. I have combination skin and it did not cause any break outs. Just use a small quantity.
3. As a cheek tint : Dab a small quantity on your cheeks for that natural rosy cheeks.
4. As a lip scrub : Mix the balm with cane sugar/salt to form all natural lipscrub. Massage it gently on flaky lips to make it smooth and plump.
I used all organic ingredients as it is a face product.
Hope you liked this post. Do subscribe for updates.