These days you see alot of brands coming up with masks with rare and exotic clays and ingredients from all over the world. It really makes you think at times that only those expensive ones can satisfy your mask cravings. But let me tell you that, with simple ingredients from your kitchen, you can make amazing masks that brightens, tightens, lightens and clarifies the skin and can even provide anti aging benefits.
You can also muti-mask with these 2 DIY recipes. Use the first mask all over the face and the second one as a black head removing strip on nose and cheek area.
So without further adieu let us see my the recipe of two of my favorite masks. Also remember, these masks are made of pure natural ingredients.So make it fresh and do a patch test before applying on face. Even natural ingredients can cause irritations and redness if it doesn’t suit your skin.
Anti aging & anti pimple mask
Ingredients : Cinnamon powder, honey and lime extract (I use organic products to be safe)
Mix half a tsp of cinnamon powder with 2 tsp honey and 1 tsp lime extract. Vary the quantity accordingly to make a paste of slightly runny consistency. Adding more cinnamon may cause redness, irritation and burning sensation, so be careful and do a patch test.
Apply this mix evenly on your face and neck avoiding eye and lip area. This gives best results when used as an overnight mask.
Benefits of honey-cinnamon mask :
1. Cinnamon plumps the skin by stimulating blood vessels and thereby reduces fine lines over time
2. Honey hydrates the skin without making it oily
3. This mix helps to dry out acne and it fades away blemishes fast
4. Studies shows that Cinnamon seems to increase collage expression on the skin through cinnamaldehyde, its main chemical component.
5. It unclogs open pores and removes dead skin and excess oil.
Peel off mask for removing black heads, skin brightening and removing tiny facial hair
Ingredients : Gelatin powder, milk, turmeric(not the one used for cooking, you need to get kasturi manjal(Wild Turmeric)
This is a very versatile mask and you can try this with different ingredients like lime juice, activated charcoal powder, honey, cinnamon etc.Turmeric brightens the skin and behaves as an antiseptc so I like using it. Now you need to use your intuition and adjust the quantity of ingredients here to get the right consistency. I use about 1 tbsp of gelatin (for just the face), 2 tbsp of milk and half tsp of turmeric.
> Apply this mask on a clean face with no makeup
> Keep a straight face and do not talk while this mask is on, for it to give the desired benefits.
Mix the milk(room temp or warm) and turmeric and add it to unflavored gelatin powder. You can either microwave this mix for 10sec or dip the small bowl with the mix to another bowl of boiling water and mix it continuously until it is a lump free mix. Do a patch test before applying it on face. If the mix cools down you can warm it up again. The mix should be warm and not hot. Now apply it on your face avoiding eye, eyebrows and lip area. This step should be fast and the mix tends to cool down and harden fast. Apply it in the same direction as hair growth. Wait until the mask cools down completely (10-15min). Now grab an edge of the dried mask and slowly pull it in upward direction. Be gentle and careful.
1. Removes blackheads, whiteheads and tiny facial hair
2. Unclogs pores and makes skin squeaky clean
3. Instantly brightens up your face
4. Gives the effect of a facial with visibly smooth skin
5. An inexpensive and effective alternative to commercial pore strips
6. Tightens skin and smoothen out fine lines
If you have sensitive skin please try this out on a small patch on face before using it. Do not use soap or any chemical products after using this and if stepping out, use a sunscreen.
* Agar-agar is the vegan alternative for Gelatin. You can also apply this mask just on the nose area as a black head removing strip.
I hope you liked this DIY post. Do subscribe and follow us on Instagram and FB for more tips and tricks on skincare.